Monday, October 6, 2014

Waverly Beach


Waverly Beach is one of those places that when you move to the Fox Valley area you hear other people talk about, but always in a weird context. Well, at least that was my experience . When I asked people to describe it, I heard various words used--super club, nice bar, giant banquet hall--but then in my head, I for thought I would equate it to Malibu Sands Beach Club. Yes. A Saved by the Bell reference.



So when I first arrived in the giant parking lot, I was slightly confused by the industrial feel of the building, but once inside, I managed to fit together why this places was described in so many ways. Simply, it offers all of those things, a big bar area, a little dining area and a huge banquet hall.

It was a busy Friday night and I ordered the usual brandy old fashioned sour. The bartender grabbed a glass and added ice, two heavy shots of Christian Brothers brandy and a mix from a generic plastic bar squeeze bottle. Then the drink was topped off with soda and olives.




The bitters-mix were actually very wonderful! It was a dark syrup, home-made, and not too sweet at all. I was definitely nervous at first, but this is a very logical solution for a bar of this size. The mix has lots of bitters, a little sweetness and even a nice subtle citrus undertones. For $4.50, this drink was well worth it.


My rating this time is not just on the old fashioned. The old fashioned ranks a 4, but the view and the amazing buffalo chicken pizza would make this place an easy 5; however, the fact that some drinks were served in plastic glasses stolen from an area cafeteria, this place is back down to a 4--and lucky not to be a 3. No good. Invest in proper glassware!

Rating (out of 5 olives)


Waverly Beach
N8770 Fire Lane 1
Menasha
waverlybeach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment